Below are the competition rules and format. This information will be handed to you when you register and you must sign and date it with all relevant information as in the example below.
- The competition is a multi-round, elimination
- In each round, three competitors brew coffee
- Competitors have 8 minutes in which to prepare, brew, and present their
- When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three
- The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the
- On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred
- The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are
- The brewer used must be a genuine AeroPress. No other brewer may be used in the drink preparation.
- All three parts of a genuine AeroPress brewer must be used; the chamber, the plunger, and the filter cap. Aftermarket or non-genuine parts are not
- Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients
- Any type of filter is allowed, so long as it does not replace the filter cap itself (see rule #2). The filter can be made out of paper, metal, cloth, or any other
- Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder, kettle, scales, water, or other equipment.
- If the Hosts have specified a competition coffee, this is the only coffee that may be
- Competitors must present a minimum of 150ml of brewed coffee, in the vessel
- Coffees not presented within the time limit of 8 minutes will not be
- Failure to comply with any of the above will result in
- Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and
- Competitor’s names will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
- There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?”
- Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
- On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cup of their
- After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the glorious round winner, while simultaneously shaming the
- In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round. This decision is
Terms and conditions
- I understand that by competing in this competition I will be exposed to risk that could cause me personal injury including slips, falls, and
- By reading and signing the registration sheet in order to compete I agree to fully waive all responsibility and indemnify all of the venue owners, hosts, staff and organizers of the event. I realize that this will mean I have no legal claim should any injury
- I will protect myself and all other attendants from loss or injury at all times
- I understand that if I win the 2019 UAE National Aeropress Championship it is my responsibility to process my visa to compete for the World Aeropress Championshi
Date & Signature: