2021 AEROPRESS CHAMPIONSHIPS COMPETITION FORMAT
1. The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
2. In each round, three competitors brew coffee simultaneously.
3. Competitors have 5 minutes in which to prepare, brew, and present their coffee.
4. When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
5. The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
6. On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
7. The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
COMPETITION RULES WITH UPDATED COVID PROTOCOLS
1. The brewer used must be a genuine AeroPress. No other brewer may be used in the drink preparation.
2. All three parts of a genuine AeroPress brewer must be used; the chamber, the plunger, and the filter cap. Aftermarket or non-genuine parts are not allowed.
3. Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
4. Any type of filter is allowed, so long as it does not replace the filter cap itself (see rule #2). The filter can be made out of paper, metal, cloth, or any other material.
5. Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder.
6. The Competitors must only use the sponsored coffee.
7. Competitors may only use a maximum of 18g of roasted coffee in their recipe.
8. Competitors must present a minimum of 150ml of brewed coffee in the color-coded servers provided and coffees will be split into 3 shot glasses for the judges to taste. The servers along with the shot glasses will be transferred to the judges table for tasting,
9. Strictly no tasting of coffee direct from the servers with the use of cupping spoons, competitors must only taste their coffees using their own shot glass; they must pour their coffee from their servers to their shot glasses to taste and amend their recipes as they prefer.
10. Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification.
Each round is judged by blind tasting. Use of cupping spoon to taste is strictly prohibited. The judges will be presented with servers and coffee filled shot glasses from each competitor. Judges can only taste the coffee from the shot glass that are presented to them.
Competitor’s servers will be marked on the underside where they are completely hidden.
There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?”
Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the server of their choosing.
After judging, the MC will lift the winning server, revealing the name of the round winner, while simultaneously shaming the losers.
In the event of all three judges pointing at different servers, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees (using his/her own shot glass) and decide the round. This decision is final.
BY PARTICIPATING, COMPETITORS AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- I understand that by competing in this competition I will be exposed to risk that could cause me personal injury including slips, falls, and burns.
- I am aware that I must submit my vaccination certificate or present a 48hrs negative Covid PCR test result to compete.
- I am aware that I must pay a non-refundable registration fee of AED 50.00.
- By reading and signing the registration sheet in order to compete I agree to fully waive all responsibility and indemnify all of the venue owners, hosts, staff and organizers of the event. I realize that this will mean I have no legal claim should any injury arise.
- I will protect myself and all other attendants from loss or injury at all times
- I understand that if I win the 2021 UAE National Aeropress Championship, I will not travel to Australia where the 2021 World Aeropress Championship will be held, but will instead use a surrogate barista located in Australia to present my winning Aeropress recipe to the judges; due to this year’s COVID-19 restrictions.